Who should attend?
This free webinar series is geared for any discipline that works with young children and families, including early childhood and special education teachers, speech-language pathologists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, pediatricians, family physicians, college students in these disciplines, and anyone else interested in learning about the magic of learning to talk. This webinar series is a companion to our new to SC•DIT course but anyone interested can attend.
What will we cover?
Join us to celebrate how amazing it is for children to learn to talk. Social communication milestones offer a critical window into the wellbeing of infants and toddlers and are the earliest signs of healthy development and school readiness and an opportunity to catch small delays early. Watch videos with us and chat in as we explore questions like What does it take for children to learn to talk? and How can parents & other caregivers support children’s learning in everyday activities?
This webinar is a 6-week series that covers the following 6 topics:
- Week 1: Encouraging the Magic — Responsive Parenting Strategies
- Week 2: Language Domain — Gestures & Meanings | Sounds & Words
- Week 3: Play Domain — Using Actions with Objects | Social Sharing with Objects
- Week 4: Social Interaction Domain — Social Attention | Intentional Communication
- Week 5: Emotional Regulation Domain — Sharing & Managing Emotions | Regulating Challenging Moments
- Week 6: Self-Directed Learning Domain — Understanding Messages | Creating New Ideas
When is this scheduled?
This webinar is a 6-week series and will be scheduled 4 times this year—Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Join the next webinar series and attend when you can.
- Day: Wednesdays (barring holidays)
- Time: 1:00 to 2:30pm (Eastern Time)
This Spring webinar series starts Wednesday, May 5th, 2021.
You must register to participate. You can find the specific dates on the Registration page. Once you register, you will receive email reminders for each webinar in the series.
How do I register?
The SC•DIT 6-week webinar series is a recurring Zoom session. When you register for the first time for a webinar series, you won’t have to register for future webinars in this 6-week series. Attend as often as you can.
We cannot record our webinars because we show photos and videos of our families, so make sure to register with the link above.
Where is the SC•DIT Resources page for this webinar?
Be sure to go to the SC•DIT Resources page that we have created for you. You can find resource documents from our SC•DIT course and research on responsive parenting strategies. You can also find a link to the Feedback Survey and Request Form—if you are interested in receiving an attendance certificate for each of the 6 webinars in this series.
Hosts for this Webinar
- Amy M. Wetherby, PhD Distinguished Research Professor • Director, FIRST WORDS Project, Florida State University
- Renee Daly Holland, MS, Assistant Director • Baby Navigator Master Coach & Global Trainer, Florida State University
- Abigail Delehanty, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Speech Language Pathology, Duquesne University
Panelists from the Florida State University (FSU) Autism Institute
- Heather Venclauskas, MPA, RN, Lead Family Navigator and Healthcare Outreach Coordinator, FIRST WORDS Project
- Dr. Tia Walton Walker, Research Faculty and Community Engagement Coordinator
- Dr. Iris Davis, Post-Doctoral Fellow
- Cathy Zenko, MS, Director, FSU Center for Autism and Related Disabilities (CARD)